Caring for Your Flowers
Enjoy your flowers for an extended time with a little bit of extra care.
Fresh flowers means longer-lasting flowers.
There are so many reasons to use fresh, local flowers in your home and for your events. Just as a perfectly ripe tomato grown in your backyard tastes juicy and sweet and nothing like the hard, mealy tomato you find from the store, fresh flowers hold a beauty and fragrance that you won’t find in flowers that have sat on a plane and in coolers for days, even weeks.
- Keep your flowers in a cool place, out of direct sunlight
- Keep flowers away from fruits and vegetables
- Place flowers in a clean vase (clean enough to drink from!)
- Keep fresh water in the vase and top it off as needed (fresh flowers drink a lot of water)
- Add floral preservative, which contains a sugar (feeds the blooms), an acid (maintains the pH level) and a bleach (reduces the bacteria and fungi growth).
- Add a few extra drops of bleach to flowers that dirty the water quickly, such as zinnias, Black-eyed Susans and mums.
- After a few days, recut the stems at an angle using sharp, clean snips.
Tips for extending your vase-life
HOW IT WORKS
We make it easy
See what we’re growing, stay up to date on what’s happening on the farm and be the first to know about our pop-up shops.